Friday 26 April 2013

All vintage embroidered tablecloths are equal - though some are more equal than others....

Thank you again for very kind comments about my half baked wrap dress - I will have a go at completing it  all being well!  Just a word about top stitching - I can 'hold the line' so long as I don't blink!  If I blink the whole thing goes Pete Tong and wobbly!  I am thinking of manufacturing an eye lid propper upper!!

Delighted that Ann won The Great British Sewing Bee - a triumph of, and for, attention to detail and no shortcuts (cough, cough....)

Adding in my usual no Pinterest request - thank you - though I see that someone has already posted them there - despite no pin, etc, etc, etc. Today  I am very much feeling like giving up with blogging...

 I am rather partial to a nice embroidered tablecloth - one or two of these I have shown before but as I got these out when my sisters came to stay at Easter time I thought I would photograph some of them 'en masse' as 'twere.



I have taken other photographs that show these tablecloths with the 'matching' china ready for tea time!  I will post those separately I think

This may seem a bit odd but these are not necessarily my favourite tablecloths - I have some quirky printed ones that I like muchly and some embroidered ones that are not so 'fancy' but have little details that I love





 I would like to eat these....



And these......






The one below I have shown before but always worthy of another outing don't you think.  Swags and garlands aplenty





And some all together




The one below I have had several times over and a damaged one I made into a bag.... I have got other pieces left over from it somewhere






I particularly like embroidered wild flowers -  clover, buttercups and daisies are especially lovely






The detail of the falling petal I particularly like





 Too much?










The one below has a few broken threads.... and sister Sue dropped jam on it..... gasps of horror

Go on - get your cloths out and use them.  That is what they were built for!

PS: Just adding these photos in for Barbara - sorry that my email is soooo useless and slow Barbara so posting these to show the backs for you!





























31 comments:

  1. I just love hand embroidered tablecloths. Whenever I see them at a reasonable price I purchase them! I have something similar design as that on the bottom right hand purse.
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO very gorgeous!! Love all those pretty flowers!! Happy weekend! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful.....I can sew a straight line too, so long as I don't blink, move my head or breathe. Needless to say my lines are wonky. You have a great collection there Lass, and I know that will be just the tip of the iceberg.....:) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning...just don't wear that dress as well, we might loose you amongst the hollyhocks! EE xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I i love your cloths Jenny, i havent managed to find any with wild flowers,yet :). That this years mission at the bootys! Love the embroidered bags too at the end of the post,are they for sale? Have a wonderful weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous cloths, all of them. I love the wild flowers the best, the level of detail is exquisite. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful !!! ...leaves me breathless

    ReplyDelete
  8. well aren't they just fabulous! love them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just drool all over my screen at your gorgeous embroideries, Jenny. And I DO wish I knew how to bid/buy one of your lovely creations! Why don't you give us a chance? :-) My first tote bag auction on ebay is ending in about four hours, and I am so nervous! (I may never do it again.) Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful, such detail. Afternoon tea anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh, beautiful. Amazing detail. I'm going to scroll up again and have another drool. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love embroidered tablecloths! These are particularly beautiful.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gadzooks, it's like Spring in textile form! Lovely lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Jenny, I've seen some beautiful tablecloths in my time but none as fabulous as these, they're so intricate and detailed! How many hours of work went into each one, perhaps for a young girl's bottom drawer? Think that custom should be revitalised myself!

    Have a wonderful weekend

    Love Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, such vibrant colours, these treasures must have been well cared for! Love the bags too, a portable piece of tablecloth joy! Catx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your tablecloths Jenny - the embroidery is amazing (and so is your photography) - I love them, in fact I'm very jealous of your tablecloths. You have some real treasures there :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Jenny those little bags are gorgeous, not to mention the cloths. Please can I come and live in your linen cupboard, I'd be like a fairy snuggled amongst all the beautiful flowers and trees, skipping along the garden paths,sigh! Lucey xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such beauty on display Jenny... lovely to see all the different stitches... super little bags too!
    Hope your garden is springing into action, I love all the new green leaves and buds at this time of the year. Cx


    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely tablecloths Jenny. I started collected them, usually from ebay, when the prices were much cheaper. I have a matching teacosy to your cloth with the summerhouse on it and it is my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Was the jam sabotage....? *sigh* I think possibly this is what embroidered tablecloth heaven would look like :)
    Nicky
    x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh oh oh oh oh...they are simply stunning. I keep scrolling back up and looking at all the close-ups...what an amazing amount of detail and work. I LOVE these old embroideries. I want to lie down in that flowery garden and never get up.

    Because I do a lot of freemotion embroidery, and speed is important, I've taught myself impressive (for me) foot pedal control so when I am sewing a straight line and need to blink, sneeze, scratch etc,,,I can lift my foot off that pesky pedal in a swift and smooth motion, do my business, and then continue with nary a wobble in my line. Like my Mum always said, practice make perfect. I used to think she was tres boring for saying that but blimey the lady was right. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Jenny,WOW!!!!As you might expect I too am VERY partial to an embroidered tablecloth,tray cloth,teacosy,hand towel,tea towel,and I do use mine everyday although just recently I seem to have a habit of spilling pasta sauce on them!!But it always comes out in the wash!Hubby titters muchly when it is me that does the spilling!!My favourite of yours is the garland one just too pretty!!Please pop over when you have time,I have NEWS!! Tatty 'Bye for now.Pam

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you Jenny for showing the purse backs (and fronts) - I love them all they are so pretty :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  24. I wonder how many hours of work are represented in these images ... I just love that these things have a life that goes far beyond their original maker and home.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is an informative blog by which I have got that info which I really wanted to get.
    Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for featuring my t-shirtt. Now I need to start stitching on all of my skirts and blouses, too! I appreciate the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  27. What lovely inspirational embroidery photos. I especially love your
    embroidered hearts and buttons. They are so cute. Maybe you could use
    your embroidered cloths to make a patchwork bag or cushion. It would
    look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a lovely embroidery blog and photos. Great work keep On working.
    Thanks for sharing photos about Embroidery
    .

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nice Photos. I appreciate your work. Thanks for sharing this much with us. Your previous blog was also awesome. Keep doing the good work. These Embroidery Designs are very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete