Tuesday 19 November 2013

Tie a YELLOW ribbon....round the old table leg.............



It was YELLOW!


I am 'The Custards' after all!

Here are the clues:  

1. I mentioned (in blue because yellow doesn't show up against white!) that sometimes I was doubly a cross stick - this was  feeble attempt at a pun: A DOUBLE ACROSTIC.  Groan....my childhood was spent listening to 'My Word' on Radio 4...

2. This would have naturally (!)  prompted a review of the blog text and there it was: spelt out down the left hand side of the blog the word: YELLOW (in bold at that!) and again in lower case (in bold at that!) at the end of each of those same lines.  

3. Martha and Arthur offered sage words of wisdom and asked that you go back and 'See what was in front of you' too. Thank you to Martha and Arthur for their input but sorry if they then misled you into thinking that my words were all a double/treble bluff and that the table was actually the colour of the photograph!

Go back and have a gander if you can bear it....

Did you ever read Masquerade.............or tried to solve it...

Sorry again - I do feel quite bad about it all!



Phew!!! Next time I shall opt for the more straightforward approach.  However I loved the comments and each one made me chuckle.  The clever rhymes and the trying to figure out how my brain might work  I thought were creative and inventive.


Jugs are the handiest of things - if you go to your local charity shop now you will find one, for about 20-50 pence I think.  I use others for: custard, flowers, 'bits', pens, pencils, 'bobs', more custard and juice


Flower frogs are the handiest of things - if you go to your local charity shop now you will find one, for about 20-50 pence I think.  I use others for: incense, little twiggy arrangements and for pencils...not custard




£25 bought a lovely Edwardian table - complete with a drawer with purdy handles. I have got some lovely 1950s wallpaper that I might line this lovely drawer with - not quite made up my mind.  When I got it home I realised that it was a little bit, slightly more much bigger than I thought and it could barely fit up the stairs.



There was a little bit of huffing and puffing at that point in the proceedings.......Dom just laughed and said how much he loved my spontaneity and adored how I just brought things home without discussing it first....life was full of surprises with me he said....never a dull moment he said.....he just loved the fact he could now  use his Saturday lugging an old table up and down the house...he said that he could not think of a finer way of spending his time.....thank goodness he was not interested in the rugby match that day he said......how lucky he was to be with me he said......it was great that he never had any say in how things were decorated as he didn't have to think about it......at this point he just ruffled my hair and smiled: 'That's what makes you you' he said.  That was about the gist of it. How we laughed that day..............



Arthur: 'Why is there a kettle under the table?'

Martha: ' 'Tis the most obvious place for kettle keeping Arthur - please keep up'

Arthur: 'She is a bit odd isn't she...'

I am sure that most of you keep a kettle under the table - I am not alone with that one.

This room faces directly south and gets very sunny - so I have to be careful.  Just like The V&A I have to keep the sun out to protect fabricos (not really - but I have placed it on the facing wall to try and minimise the sun).

Since taking these photographs I have painted (NOT yellow or blue) the other Ercol chair that  I bought for £2 from'The Shop that opens more often than it used to' shop and plonked that in here too. The room is filling up nicely - just some more shelving to fit in and the embroidery flying  formation!



Too much?


Can you see that the table is getting 'full up' here.  Oh I wish I could keep things neat and tidy but I cannot.  Things just creep in.  I will take better photos but you might be able to see the old wire stationary trays on the table - back in the summer I bought three of them for TWENTY PENCE the lot.  TWENTY PENCE!!! They are ideal to keep even more bits and bobs in.  Also can you see an Easter Egg?  It is particularly old one from the 1930s I think - bought  from the same stall but they were asking FIFTY PENCE for the egg - the price hike was due to the fact that within the egg were nestled two other eggs!  A bit like a Faberge one  I think! (Arthur: 'I've always said that it is best to buy Easter eggs at Christmas time - always.')

So - in summary - we have: 'Mary' from Mr Langfords, two Ercol chairs from Rodney ('The Shop that opens ...you know the rest!'), table from next town shop, old desk from where I used to work many years ago (free), big chair bought as a teenager (decades ago then...), sample book of 50s wallpaper bought for £12 via t'internet stuck on the wall and stuff from years of not throwing out!

If you have read this blog over the years you will see that all posts  have been building towards this day!

Careful curation creates completeness.

Perfecto!


 Dom very kindly wired up one of those industrial light fittings for me to complete the scene.

  The light bulbs are pricey and - a word of warning here - the light they give off is rubbish!!!! 

However these bulbs look very  nice I think! I will do a very little post just about the light bulb another time


It took a bit of sifting to get the correct entries sorted and I am feeling quite bad that I made it so tricky (I might have to do a special embroidered purse giveaway sooner rather than later in order to make amends!). For those who guessed the right colour but not which purse they might like |I then put in both vintage hats  and hoped that I would not draw their name out twice!

Bronte selected one winner and Maille the other.   The winners are:

For the coin purse:  BoBo bun - I do hope that is ok as you had not specified which you might like but I thought that this might be your preference when you name appeared.


For giant doll purse (!):  Ada Bea from The Vintage Sheet addict was also pulled out of the vintage hat

I will call in on your blogs to let you know but if you see this beforehand please email me your contact details (bank account number, PIN number, passwords etc) and then I will post as soon as possible.


Thank you again for all of your entries - I will not make things so complex next time!  Maybe......



I love custard



56 comments:

  1. Jenny has anyone ever told you that they think you are ever so slightly mad??!!!!!!!! But lovely with it too of course. I always feel a bit surreal reading your blog posts and try and imagine you reading them out loud. I bet you would have been the loveliest of nurses, always cheery and brightening up the days! Going off at a slight tangent now, do you remember the post where you told us you were known as (something like) the queen of the bowels? Tony, on his recent hospital stays informed me they were obsessed with whether he had had his bowels open. Several times every day by different nurses. Is that something you learn in nursing school??!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mad - moi! Never has that been suggested before Anne! I trust that you have read my bowel -y reply on your blog.

      Always happy to discuss bowels Anne - we could exchange top tips you so desire
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  2. Well my lovely, I was just going to tell you what a fabulous, inventive, creative, wonderful mind you had to think up such great clue (even if I hadn't picked up on even one of them!) and then I've just read (had to re-read just in case I'd misread it......tis getting late for me, well that's my excuse!) THAT I'VE WON!!! I jumped up from my chair, not so tired now.....scared eldest Bea held to death, luckily she has just finished her supper, or there may have been a mishap with her glass of milk! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I'm just of to retread it again, I'll be most embarrassed if I've got this wrong! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ada Bea
      Poor Miss Bea - I hope that she has recovered from it all
      Take good care
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  3. Yes....tis me right enough.....oh and I scared Eldest Bea half to death, not held to death....just in case you thought I a little mad.....:) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jenny...I have loved reading all of your clues, so no don't change its nice to be different...congrats to the winners
    I love the new sewing room its so full of colour and creative spirit..beautiful
    Thea x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Thea - that is heartening to read
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  5. Congratulations to your winners, how did I miss all those clues! I can see it so clearly now! Your room looks so lovely and post so full of laughs!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah
      It is bloomin' obvious once you know!
      I am glad it made you laugh
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  6. I didn't pick up on any of the clues, but I did get the colour! Congrats to the ladies who won (love both their blogs!) You are never short for words, that's for sure! I wish I could find the bargains you find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do another giveaway Julie so please do enter - thank you for joining in this time around too.
      Dom says that I can talk for England....I don't think that he means that in a good way....
      Too many bargains.......

      Best wishes
      jenny

      Delete
  7. The room looks fantastic, and your table was a complete bargain. Those handles! I wish I had your antennae for a knock down price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was unbelievably cheap - weight for weight cheaper than firewood that they sell in B & Q! Shocking really. The handles weren't that noticeable until I painted it and now they sing out!
      Thank you for calling in
      Best wishes
      jenny

      Delete
  8. So so excited to have won, especially as I'd forgotten I'd entered. My brain is a jumble of fluff and flowers these days. No clever Sherlock trail to the colour I just thought oozing through the murky grey it looked that kind of shade. Hope you don't mind we missed the clues. I even know the other winner so that makes it feel even more lovely.

    The next thing I'd like to win is a day stitching in your beautiful room as it's heavenly. I doubt I'd get any done as I'd be looking at all those fabrics you have.
    Lisa X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome Lisa - I think a few got the clues but some had good guesses
      You are most welcome to pop round for sewing purposes too!
      Best wishes
      jenny

      Delete
  9. It couldn't have been any other colour except custard Yellow it looks gorgeous and I am just so in love with your work room I could just sit and look at it all day but that wouldn't be any good for me ;-) Enjoy, dee x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello again
      I think that it works quite well and yellow is not a colour that I would normally choose
      thank you for calling in dee
      Best wishes
      jenny

      Delete
  10. Thicko here missed all the clues but hey ho congrats to those that didn't. Your Dom sounds an absolute dahrling (sorry tongue got stuck in cheek there) and so helpful. Does he give lessons to other husbands in "how to help your wife without complaining" because mine could definitely do with a few? I love your new workroom - it's a great space. Philippa xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not thicko in the slightest! I made it all a bit convoluted for some reason. Believe me Dom does complain but is a good soul really
      Thank you for calling in
      Best wishes
      jenny

      Delete
  11. I'm wondering... what are you going to do in that gorgeous sewing room? Stitch and stock your shop? Offer secret sewing classes? or... maybe tap dance on that delicious custard table while Mary sings along?
    I like custard = warm, sweet and full of energy but not cold, thick skinned nor lumpy. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tap dancing it is Ethel!
      I like custard both warm and sweet and cold and very lumpy. I have a custard post lined up and one day I will post it!
      thank you for calling in
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  12. oh i do love your studio its wonderful !! I like everything you have done there, just lovely !! I promise to get some pics up of my little tin chapel studio in the new year, I think you will like it, and we will have to meet up for tea and cake one day soon, love always, Deborah--just adding you to my blog list now !! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing your photographs Deborah
      Thank you for your kind words and for calling in
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  13. Oh, I could spend hours in that room ... it looks wonderful! M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane - I do spend a little too long in there!
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  14. mrs custard i think you are absolutely bonkers - but great fun - i love your work room as well - i usually work in our conservatory but it's so cold it's like being in outer mongolia so i have transferred to the kitchen table - perhaps i should have said siberia because i'm not sure if it is cold in outer mongolia - geography not being my strongest point - a big congratulations to both winners - i am jealous you lucky things - mrs custard are very good at finding bargains me thinks - a table for £25 and those lovely wire trays for 20p!!!! i need a lie down xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonkers! I don't think so! Ho ho
      Those wire trays were fantabulous at 20p - at that same car boot I bought some christmas decorations and ended up trying to give the stall hold MORE money for them as they only wanted a pound.
      Keep warm!
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  15. sorry mrs custard YOU are very good at finding bargains

    ReplyDelete
  16. I missed all your clues and I still don't understand them but I console myself by thinking that at some point in its life, that table must have been black. I have to admit, it does look very nice in yellow. I hope you will enjoy it and make lots of nice things on it to show us here at Custards. What a beautiful, creative, inspiring work room! Shelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to mislead......
      Thank you for your kind words Shelley
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  17. I love your work room. It's fab! The little sewing machines are lovely all around the top. I am sure you have got far too much stuff in there and really should start chucking some this way. In particular the yellow miniature sewing machine, second from the left ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jacky and thank you for calling in.
      Those are sweet aren't they - I think that the one you mean is one of my Little Betty's (!!) - both I bought locally one for 30p a few years ago at a car boot and the other for 4.99 from a vintage fair. I have seen two in charity shops in the last month so they are not rare but probably get snapped up by old women looking to fill up their sewing room.....
      Keep your eyes peeled and I am sure one will turn up
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  18. Nope... didn't get any of the clues obviously, but congratulations to the winners! Don't you dare now make us guess the colour you've painted the other chair. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first is in pun but not in fun.....
      Oh dear....
      Thank you for calling in
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  19. I never did pick up on your clues but I did guess the correct color. Yay to the winners! I LOVE your sewing room - what a delightful place to sew.

    xo Danielle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Danielle
      I will run another one in the New Year...possibly not so tricky next time around...
      thank you for your kind words
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  20. Wow wow wow! Love it love it love it! That's all..... Oh - except thank you for sharing .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly for your jolly words
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  21. Beautiful blog, I have just added you x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Jenny, the competition was far too sophisticated for me,I do love the Yellow though,very cheery,no wonder you're so creative with such a FAB room in which to work!Thankyou for sending me details of your dining table,mine is being delivered next Thursday,hurrah!!By the way are you going to paint the table that your sewing machine stands on?TTFN Pam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Pam
      Looking forward to seeing your table in situ
      That other table will probably stay as it is - for many years it belonged to the receptionist to the intensive care unit at Westminster Hospital so it has lots of memories for me just how it is
      Thank you as always for your kind words
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  23. Just found your blog ...... love it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for calling in Jacqui
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  24. Quite simply- you are brilliant! ( In words, ways, colours and photographs) Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bow my head accordingly dear Jane the Booklady
      Thank you so much for that - ego satisfied for another day!
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  25. Well of course it had to yellow. I was not up with the play on that one but congrats to those who were. Your studio looks fabulous. I can only dream. I have a large space, in fact a very large space but far too much stuff plus my daughters stuff as well, so need to do some serious sorting and chucking. Thanks so much for your visit. Blessings, Trills

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes the perils of too much stuff...I know that feeling. I sort and chuck most days (I take things to the charity shop at least once a week) but it just appears!
      Thank you for calling round
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  26. Mary's looking good and I should of thought custard yellow for the table....as they say, the clues are in the question!!! :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes Barbara - it was right before us all the time!
      Mary says hello by the way
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  27. Ooh Jenny, I've been reading all about your lovely giveaways by the lucky winners!

    I'm very envious of all your lovely bargains ... The table looks amazing ... I jus love everything in your pictures, they sing with colour!

    Thank you so much for your kind comments, they mean a lot to me

    Love Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello Claire
      I hope that life is a little calmer for you
      Colour is cheery isn't it. Last night I watched an awful programme about Jewish families who lived in a cave during the war - just terrible and as always made me appreciate things all the more
      Best wishes
      jenny

      Delete
  28. Love the yellow table--good job! But nomatter how much tabletop space I have it is never enough. Lots of luck on keeping it neat and tidy. That never happens. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it is not neat and tidy now Linda! It last for about an afternoon!
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  29. It all looks so fantastic. It is great when stuff like that comes together as your dream. Jo x

    ReplyDelete