Monday 21 January 2013

On a day like today what you need are....clothes for warmage

Thank you again for kind words regarding cushions and floor sanding!  What a combo.  Mr Sandman is back again next week to 'do the dining room'.  

Regarding coffee table - this was bought off Gumtree and is usually listed as being a 'John Piper Coffee Table' no idea if it is or not but looks nice so that's the main thing. They are not that uncommon so don't be lured by any tag of 'rare' on Ebay.  I have just  checked and the other one that I was going to buy is still there for £40 in London.  I was working in London just before Christmas so had thoughts of bringing it home on the train (!) - too big for that sadly but very pleased with the one that I bought (ps: the owner of London one is happy to send photos and replied to my email in an hour or so).  Heart warmers added in this post for Miss Daisy and for anyone else needing to keep warm today.  Lampshades not hard to make Priddy Priddy - I had a phase of making those a couple of years ago as you can tell here here .  There are cheap kits to be found on ebay but having used once I would not buy again....


Anyway......


 Back in the 80s every jumble that I went to would be piled high with mohair scarves - usually 10p.  Back in the 80s I bought a lot of mohair scarves! (Just a note for sister Gail - I asked Maille if I could borrow the brooch that you gave to her for Christmas...)

As Jupiter is to Earth my head is to the rest of the populous - VERY LARGE in relation to others - so whilst this beret is jolly it looks like a pimple on a round of beef on my head sadly.



Nevertheless I wore the beret and selected a scarf (or two) for a walk to the Co-op in the snow


 I love these colours

 I heated up four heart warmers before I set off.  I decided on the 2X2 arrangement for this trip (two in the pockets and two in the brassiere for maximum warmage).  I think I was a bit of a sight by the time I got to the Co-op - pimple on a round of beef hat and steam rising from all sorts of orifices!!!  There was a bit of nudging going on round the cheese area.....

Instructions on how to make these - very easy - are here at Mollie Makes .  So even if the scarves you come across are full of holes etc please keep them and use them for chest warmers!!!!  I am also going to use a boiled scarf to make a bag (I need a bag...)....gloves......hat......knickers (oooo-er)!


Adding in a bit of cheesy soup and empty mug!!!!


MMmm - now why is she showing us this!


I bought this from a local junk shop (now sadly closed) a few years ago and it now sits by the front door.  It dates from early 1900s and features my favourite Arts and Crafts heart motif (a post for another time!) and also inlaid with  Dutch children playing along the front.  What has this got to do with scarves????



This is the mohair scarf storage facility!!!!


Not too nice on the beach lately - beach huts by the beach - looks pretty enough though



Oh, I could have made boiled scarf bunting!!!

Keep warm 

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

40 comments:

  1. Warmage needs good scarfage [and sockage]

    We have been using the word 'sockage' all weekend, it is good to realise that 'warmage' is a word as well.

    Warmest blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Angela and for the mention of my neologism on your blog
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  2. ~Brrr Warmage, cosying and indeed lairing are all words good for just now!
    YOU are well stocked up with winter woolies and what a great place to keep them!
    The very pretty bench seat is just adorable...
    ~ Take time to dream~
    Love Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Maria - it is very sweet and I remember all too well Dom rolling his eyes when I brought it home.....
      Oh dear
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  3. You will never run out of scraves ! Love your bench it fits in nicely in your hall. It does not matter what you look like just keep warm. I never wear a hat because I just look stupid but this week I have ,to my childrens laugher...
    Rosezeeta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am an embarrassment to my children but I am warm!
      Thank you for calling in
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  4. Hello Jenny:
    What a wonderful image of the beach huts in their pastel colours which do, in fact, reflect so well the shades of all those mohair scarves although quite what we should do with them, the scarves not the beach huts [which could be let out for vast sums of money], we are less than sure. We do remember them from the 1950s but seem to have lost contact since then.

    Your hall seat is superb and should you in the future, unlikely we know, find no further use for it, then we could so readily place it either here or in Brighton. It really is so nice. Do post on it and the demised [is there such an adjective?] junk shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jane and Lance - flattered indeed that you would like the seat - I will add a tag on the reverse and (when the day comes) I will trundle along the coast to Brighton.
      Thank you as always for your kind words
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  5. Love the colour of your hat and scarves. You've had me in stitches regarding your excursion to the Co-op!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gill - I frequently cause a stir in the Co-op so I might do a little post on that very issue!
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  6. You do make me laugh. Not a snigger mind you but a good old 'laugh out loud belly laugh'.

    I like looking at mohair and love the idea of it but truth be told it makes me itch and sneeze so I can only admire from afar. Very nice scarves they are too...even spiffier is your hall seat. Just marvellous. Yes please - do a post on it.

    Our beach huts are slightly drab and dull, white affairs - I wish we had a row of pretty pastel huts but alas we do not. Still, a beach hut is a beach hut and a highly desirable object, in my opinion, but they go for ridiculous amounts of money - every summer we think of enquiring about renting one but we never do anything about it. Oh well it's not too far to walk to the beach and really I need all the exercise I can get, what with my nesty chair ways. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We aim to please dear! I have hastily cobbled together a post about seat and similar objet in the home.
      One of 'our' beach huts is owned by the NHS and available for workers - a friend owned it for the weekend and we decorated it for the day - I will dig out some photos I think
      Keep cosy today
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  7. Oh Jenny, that wood settle s beautiful! Anything with a heart motif wins my vote every time

    Keep warm and carry on ...

    Love Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that keep warm phrase Claire - you might be able to make posters with that on and sell them!

      thank you for your kind words
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  8. Hehe...... Funny how we just don't care what we wear when it gets nippy..... I had an interesting dog walking combo this morning..... Nothing in the brassiere region but what a stroke of genius( so to speak!)..... Loving everything ..... Huts scarves and darling settle......x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell you that 2x2 combo is a winner - I actually get TOO hot (though hormones help too....)
      Thank you for your kind words dear squirrel
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  9. From one big head to another, your mohair is so lovely!
    On another note, your Christmas tree photo fills me with such nostalgia for the trees of my childhood. Perfectly perfect in every way! Have a lovely week ahead. Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I do like a nice tree Elizabeth and the smell of it cannot be beaten in my book
      Thank muchly for your kind words
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  10. You've got a wonderful assortment of scarves in lovely warm colours just right for tying round necks in this snowy weather, love the bench, Lucey x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly dear Lucey - I hope that you are keeping warm today
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  11. What a sensible idea, to keep all your scarfs handy by the door, we usually have to hunt everywhere for ours. Lots of big heads here too, any hats I buy for the children are always too small for their age, its all the brains surely? Well that's my excuse. I love the idea of those little warmers,I will definitely have a look at making them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you The mum of all trades - I look forward to seeing your warmers and I am sure that you will make them extra special. I wish that I had a small head as I have always yearned to wear a flapper style hat and be graceful...
      Keep warm
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  12. Such pretty and cozy looking scarves!! I love your 1900s bench! That is a really neat piece you have there! :) Keep warm! Happy new week! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly dear Holly - I think I appreciate it a bit more now hearing kind words
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  13. now I'm wishing I'd kept mine! there did seem to be a lot of mohair scarves around at one point! the hearts are a nice idea, Heather x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet if you go out to the charity shops this week you will find one - give it a go
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  14. My mum gave me a mohair scarf which I have had to abandon, dodgy sensitive skin - it made me itch like mad. I think you've hit on a brilliant idea though, everything by the door and ready prepared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne - I fear that I have given the impression of being far more organised that I am!
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  15. Jenny, you do make me laugh! I can't cope with mohair, contacts and mohair, not a good combo! I dare you to be one of those guerrilla bunting people, one night secretly festoon those huts with your bunting, just wait until it gets a bit warmer though! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm- clearly I had not thought this through enough - no idea about contacts and mohair. I have taken photos of my bunting strung along the beach huts so will dig some out I think Ada
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  16. Oh Jenny ... you are a scream ... love the handwarmers and Maille's gorgeous brooch ... think I would borrow it too ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know Bee the minute I saw that brooch (an old enamelled blue bird) I knew that I really wanted it for myself - is that awful to covet your own daughter's stuff!
      Oh dear - no hope
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  17. A giggle and a half for my Tuesday morning is just what the Doctor ordered! Love that you are showing us all your hiding spots in your gorgeous home! Great idea for where to put the hearts too! :o) x Penelope
    ps. love that photo of the beach huts, too beautiful with all those pastel colours....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly dear Penelope - home has plenty of not so great spots - selective photography helps a great deal!
      More beach hut photos coming for the summer perhaps
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  18. Those beach huts look so pretty.
    Are you sure you really have enough mohair scarves there ... ?!
    M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmm - I might be lacking a few colours....ha ha
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  19. What a pretty photo of the beach hits....they rind me of sugared almonds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alana - I see them in a new light now
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  20. Hi Jenny,love your wallpaper in the hall,the seat is fab,very much like the idea of mohair bunting!Jolly good post,better than T.V!Warm regards Pam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly dear Pam - I do you know I might give that bunting a whirl!
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete