Tuesday 7 August 2012

Tweedy collars and bow ties....

Ren - if you see this let me know if I am on the right lines!  After chatting with Ren the other week I very much wanted to make some tweedy collars for her lovely boys.  I thought that I had some tweedy fabric at home but could not find it. Then, lo, in the charity shop three days ago there was 4 yards (original label still attached) for sale for £3.50 - the lady at the counter then spotted some marks on the fabric and she reduced it to £2.00.  This meant that I could go into collar production straight away.

Not the best and I have estimated neck size by measuring my own children's necks!!


Rummaged in my drawers for my very old clip-on bow ties (bought for Dom circa 1988...they were not really his style so I think that I sported them for a while...).  They are beautifully fashioned silk bow ties.  Here the bow tie looks enormous but in real life it is in proportion.

My collar 'design' was a little bit too 'sit up and beg' I thought


The children were delighted as they said that the collars now looked like the ones that the current Dr Who wears!  Who knew!! 

I have visited that very edge of the 'Unsurveyed area' on this map...

Last night I made a 'better' version - so I thought - the children preferred the first version after all





I like top stitching.  I read recently that you can buy a little gadget that ensures top stitching is the right distance from the edge - if only I had know that...





I purchase all my maps from Edward Stanford - ho ho.
 "Will it be the usual order madam?"
 "Yes indeed Mr Stanford - please charge it to my account"
 "Certainly madam. Anything else madam?"
 "Not today Mr Stanford thank you"
"Good day madam"
"Good day Mr Stanford"


I will add an old leather button I think

12 comments:

  1. Yes they do look Dr Who ish! Is this a new trend in boys clothing! Ada :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're funny. :)

    Deffo Dr Who - and also makes me think of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Maybe it's the combination of map and bow-tie? Like those old buttons, by the way, I think I might have some of those in one of my tins. They're quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes - the joy of buttons! I like the Raiders of the Lost Ark concept!

      Delete
  3. Lovely images ... Very stylish with maps as background. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very imaginative use of tweed. Lovely though I would have thought they would be a little itchy. No doubt Dr Who is made of tougher stuff than me. Philippa xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Philippa - I should explain that it is not tweed (the Harris type) as such but tweedy - so a tweed pattern. I imagine that this would have been shirt material originally

      Delete
  5. My boys love these! I'm going to have to attempt to make some myself, if you don't mind me copying your idea. If only I could remember where I put the piece of fabric that would be perfect for the collars - hopefully Mr RV won't notice if I chop up one of his ties to make bow-ties as I don't have any already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do make some - I have made some lovely (in my eyes!) ones out of some 70s fabric for my children. Ties are great for making bow ties because you can pick up old silk ones cheaply and there is enough fabric to fashion something

      Delete
  6. Great photos. Love the clip on bowties with your wonderful collars. Our last Headmaster wore white linen suits in the summer with clip on bowties. I liked his style and him, but sadly not many people were keen on him in rural tory world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you. Shame about your Headmaster - I embrace all mavericks and eccentrics in the world as they create the smiles and differences in life. I went back to visit my rural roots only yesterday and will do a little post about the changes that I saw...

      Delete