Monday 27 August 2012

Cathedral window revisited

Made this on a whim late last night.....22.38 to be precise


 (I haven't finished one side....)

 (I used 'that' blue rose fabric for the main bit and some lovely vintage polka dot raw silk with odd scraps of embroidery for the other bits).


......I  decided to upload my old photos of some of the other cathedral window quilts that I made years ago. Have I posted these before?  I cannot remember anything any more.  Anyway I can always delete.  The blue one is the first that I ever made - all done by hand (I had not discovered the sewing machine technique) as I was a bit obsessed with things not being made by a machine at the time. I gaily chopped up a 1950s dress to make it....gulp....when I realised I was a bit short of the required fabric I wrote to M&S (it being an M&S dress) with the registration number (as seen on the label that I had carefully kept).  They took it in their stride and carefully searched their archives (would love to have a rummage) but could not find that particular design sadly.  Still this turned out to be big enough for the children's bed so served its purpose.


The other one (with little lambs on) I also made by hand (we can tell Jenny....) and I clearly got a bit fed up with it but carried on regardless - also big enough for a bed for a little one.



I would not have the patience to make these now so glad that I 'put the hours in' when young!


Every so often I look at them and think that I should chop them up for cushions or something a bit more useable for today


This is me still making it by hand (we can still tell Jenny....) and used old embroidery thread for the top stitching - I made this into a little bag.


This is one from the 'Drawer of Shame' - here I tried to take short cuts and it was one short cut too far.  This was after it went into the washing machine - it was a disaster dahhhhhling




A pair of little pincushions - machine sewn by now! A fiddly technique but worth doing for the final effect I think.

As my ego knows no bounds I am RE-posting two favourite pictures of mine - one of a bag that I made for my sister last Christmas..
The buttons hide a multitude...





And this one which I cannot for the life of my remember what I did with it!   If you look very, very carefully you can see a tiny spot of blood where I pricked my finger sewing this!

My windows all in one nice space.

All done!

PS Thank you to you all for putting up with my eccentricities...I get carried away by my own velocity a great deal of the time....

PS  re: embroideries - fear not dearies, it is rare for me to cut into an embroidery (as far as I remember it would only be to removed damaged bits) and those embroidered panels are perfecto for bag making just as they are.  Edges are folded under and I 'frame' them with fabric or sometimes I line them and they then become a front pocket on a bag..  Each one can be unpicked and framed if needed and some of my embroidered bags are on their third reincarnation (due to changing of mind on frame fabric or length of bag handle!!)

18 comments:

  1. Your cathedral windows are wonderful - I haven't the patience to do fiddly things and always admire those who do. So no criticisms from this corner - can't see anything amiss with any of them anyway. And what a cracking way to use embroidered cloths. Shows off all the best bits.

    I thought about my comment re cutting up embroideries and realised I am a total hypocrit because I cut up old needlepoint tapestries and use them to make bags and iPad covers etc.. so BOO! to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh many thanks indeed wendz - these are from the 'Damaged embroidery' range! I used to be a stickler for never cutting into fabric in particular but over the years I now think either it is made into something or it remains in a drawer for ever and a day and that it not what it was built for. I too use old tapestries for bags - hardworking bags that withstand the rigours of grocery shopping! I will get on with the weekend bag that I have been meaning to make from them and never get round to. Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  2. They are GEORGEOUS! I made a cushion using cathedral windows years ago, gave it away as a gift, might try doing some again, I'm just getting a pile of hexies together for the Autumn evenings! Ada :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah now hexies - now your talking.....a feel a 'posting' coming on!

      Delete
  3. WOW! those cathedral window quilts are quite something. You have inspired me to go and find my fabrics for quilting
    Julie xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do Julies - I love it when people remember and revive projects. I will dig out my old patchwork quilts I think so thank you for reminding me and I look forward to seeing yours too

      Delete
  4. So pretty ... you are clever! Look very fiddly to me, wish I had a bit of your patience!

    Love Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire
      I must admit that there are a bit of a fiddle faddle and use a fair bit of 'background' fabric too!
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  5. Wow, I would love to make something like this, or even know how to...lol! They are beautiful - all of them. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Cheryl - they are relatively straightforward to do but can get fiddly and I am not accurate (patient) enough to be perfect with them but the final effect is good I think
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  6. Goodness Jenny these are beautiful great labours of love... I really like the hand sown large stitches too. So it has made me rethink... maybe I might be able to hand sew after all. Fab jolly pin cushions too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do make some - a little bag would be good or a purse too. I will dig out an old photo of a little zipped purse that I made using this design.
      Hope to see you soon
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  7. Hello Jenny, I just "discovered you" while blog surfing and my goodness - what a wonderful, inspiring blog you have - I too adore vintage embroideries & textiles & love what you have done with them. Just wanted to stop by and say Hello and to keep up the great creative work that you do & thanks for the inspiring blog :-) kind wishes across the miles,. Julie (from N.Z)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww - welcome Julie. How lovely that we have found each other and can now chat. We spent several weeks in New Zealand a few years ago - a place of great wonder and delight...I bought a few vintage (then known as secondhand) items whilst there and carried them home in our rucksack! Still have it all of course!!
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  8. Like Julie, I have chanced upon your lovely blog. (Great background!) Those pin cushions are beautiful. Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and welcome Lizzie - the background are the tins on my shelves that house a range of wonderments and haberdashery. I keep meaning to send a proper photo - the assortment changes like the wind and tins get shuffled around once a week or so!
      Have a go at cathedral window Lizzie - the final effect is worth the fiddle faddle I reckon!
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  9. It had never occurred to me to do CW by machine - now I am busy planning the Sewing Club's autumn programme and this idea is high on my list. Thanks for the inspiration. Blessings x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always impressed with quilt making, I just don't have the patience for such a craft! They look fab especially as you've done them by hand :)

    ReplyDelete