Tuesday 14 August 2012

Another shop extension - ho ho - empire growing



 I have been forced to launch another new 'shop' - in an even more battered suitcase than before!!!!



This was done whilst keeping one ear (listening) on the Olympics - yes I know it shows....

Top tip - keep all scraps, no matter how teeny tiny.  These were all gleaned from my basket of 'teeny scraps' (as opposed to the baskets of 'bigger scraps' and the one of 'bigger than before scraps').  So the usual hotch potch of randomness - best not think about too hard don't you think?



A mix of embroideries and lace and fabrics and buttons and trim

The outer perimeter has a mix of vintage Sanderson and a bit of David Whitehead!  Who knew! It all looks wobbly because the suitcase is wobbly...
Inside is festooned with some old Ladybird illustrations (at this stage in the proceedings I had not finished it).



Ideal for storing Ladybird books!!!





So now I can tell you the 'before' story.  At approximately 16.10 I decided that I would very much like to adorn a suitcase with some vintage Beatrix Potter fabric that I have.  I searched for little case that I thought I still had...blast I remembered that I had given it away.  Mmmmm.  Left the house at 16.19....walked for five minutes in a north-easterly direction to arrive at 'The shop that opens more than it used to' just before closing time.  Little chat and 'would you happen to have an old little suitcase...it does not matter how beaten up it is'. A short rummage and there it was - and it would cost one of our British pounds.  Mmmmm - probably worth 50p....16.35 arrive back home triumphant with a battered suitcase.


I used tape to mend all the corners


Smothered it all with PVA glue and applied random snippets

I am going to fashion an embroidered 'belt' with vintage buckle to keep it all together.

What I lurrrrrvvvvreeee about making things yourself is that this is the only one in the widey world - unique, one of a kind, one off, one and only, never to be repeated.  Please let us start a club for re-covered and recovered suitcases!

Oh and recovered/re-covered knitting boxes whilst we are at it!




Keeps me happy!

32 comments:

  1. Oh My what a gorgeous post! I LOVE Your creation and I love what youve done with the Ladybirds :) I 'm on the lookout for a battered old suitcase ;) ASAP .Wonderful,xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks - please do get a battered old suitcase and do a 'makeover' - I am sure that it will look a treat!

      Delete
  2. Love the case ... can't believe how quickly you covered it! I love the uniqueness of titivating too, I know a lot of people don't 'get' it, but I most definitely do!
    Hoping you're having a lovely day

    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As usual Claire the photographs hides a multitude of sins! I agree with you about titivating - Dom just thinks that it is a load of old rubbish....
      Sunny day today!

      Delete
  3. Your cases are just so beautiful!

    Bee happy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Deborah - handy for storing 'treasures'!!!!

      Delete
  4. Other incredible ideas!!! Thanks Jenny for "sunnying" (if the word does not exist, who cares, if I can invent words in French, I can do it in English too, ha ha ha!) our days!
    Take care and bisous!
    Anne-Sophie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah - Anne-Sophie I like that word very much indeed and shall use it whenever I can!
      Many thanks
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  5. Wowzers Jenny, I love the random mix of scraps and trip and buttons, I was just wondering last night 'how small does a scrap have to be for me to throw it away?' - turns out it would have to be microscopic! Hmmm, I have a very battered little briefcase that the boys play with, I think I may have to snaffle it away for a refurb! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks dearie - of course you know that the minute you decide to be ruthless and get rid of that teeny scrap you will find a very special use for it....Looking forward to seeing your suitcase all suited and booted

      Delete
  6. You are a marvel Jenny! You are a Godsend to the Crafty World that we all live in, just brilliant!
    I too have been inspired, I have just purchased, this very morning my second said suitcase, and I will 'Custardify' it next week! I shall adorn it with All Things Lovely, mainly vintage wallpaper I think! Now do you think you could sort out the mess that our economy is in? I'm sure a bit of ribbon and some old buttons is just what's needed!
    I've put that British inspired fabric on my last post if you want to have a look! Ada :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Ada - thank you so much and I love that new word! Wallpaper and buttons sounds a great mix and I am looking forward to seeing your creation! Also looking forward to your creations with your 'new to you' fabricos!

      Delete
  7. I particularly love the Ladybirds case. That is some inspired craftiness you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Beatrix Potter fabrics, so I understand why you kept every tiny little snippet in your scrap box. A very cute way to store your books. And a knitting box too! I think at this point you have probably earned the title of "Queen of Collage". :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks indeed - I am now thinking of making myself a crown of some sort!!!!

      Delete
  9. That, m'dear, is a most excellent wibbly wobbly suitcase makeover. Could not have done better meself.

    Marvellous. Utterly inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Ruddy is one of my most favouritised words! Ruddy marvellouso and thank you kindly

      Delete
  11. Ha Ha, I would join your club for sure....I have some kind of illness where as, I cannot pass by an old battered suitcase, no matter how battered it may be!! Your wibbly wobbly one is lovely, I picked up a really diddy one at the car boot on Sunday that just has one lock it is very cute and awaiting its redo.
    Thank you so much for your kind offer of wallpaper, I think I will be patient and wait as I am not sure if the wall needs mending first as it has a big hole in it, but thank you so much xx have a good rest of the week

    Sophie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A diddy suitcase sounds wonderful - there is something about smallness that is extra appealing. All the best with your mending and I have no doubt that your room will be splendido!

      Delete
  12. Loving your work as always....especially loving all those books x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I ADORE your Ladybird book filled suitcase! It's fabulous, and made even more so by the fact that it is wibbly wobbly - as all the best things are in the world - and that includes most people and the 'Leaning Tower' of Pisa!
    Paula xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you indeedy Mrs. Sutton - you are right that wobbly things are to celebrated for their imperfections in an imperfect world!

      Delete
  14. Hi Jenny, I've linked my post back to this post today, hope you don't mind! Ada :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea! Where do you get all of your energy from? I want some .... Minerva xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - I have an extra large battery that I plug into at night (a la Carry On Screaming!)

      Delete
  16. Just had a bit of a fabric clean out the other day as my wardrobe was being overtaken by fabrics - almost made me regret that there for a second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should take a leaf out of your book and also have a grande turn out - far too much fabricos as it would take me several life times to use it all! Well done with your resolve

      Delete