Friday 27 September 2013

New shop in town: 'The Cupboard of Wonders'

Noticed an interesting new shop had opened up very locally - a range of 'stuff' that was good to rummage round in...


Owner said that these little dolls were hers when she was a youngster (that would have been some time ago by the looks of her...)



Nice enough stuff but owner was a little recalcitrant when it came to prices and actually what was for sale....

'Customers' behind me were heard to mutter how they: "....wished that I had kept mine as a child..." 

Shop owner looked a little smug at this point.



Owner came close to slapping  hands when customers went to pick something up!!




To be honest The Owner (now a proper noun!) seemed reluctant to part with anything.....

Owner muttered something about having to hold on to stuff because she was due to appear on 'Hoarders'....

I told Owner that she needs to get a grip....

The Owner said that she had a grip thank you very much and that grip was firmly around all the old things in her 'shop'.




The Owner  kindly spent a good hour or so digging out older photographs of the same cupboard taken over the past 5 years - give or take


The crowd gasped at the changes over the years

The Owner said that the 'stocking up' process has taken some time 


A constant stream of 'refinement' 


Oh yes - the good old days when it was nearly bare!


Those were the days my friend
We thought they'd never end......



PS: 'Are those more tins in that there cupboard Arthur?'

PPS: ' I do believe that they are Martha'

PPPS: 'Some people just do not know when to stop do they Arthur'

PPPPS: 'No Martha...............dear'

PPPPPS: 'I've got my very beady eye on you Arthur'

PPPPPPS:' Yes Martha'

PPPPPPS: Recently the Cupboard of Wonders had to be moved to another 'establishment' - The Owner could not be bothered, was too lazy, will always take a shortcut if she can,  decided not to empty the cupboard but coerced her children to help her shift aforementioned cupboard with  THE ENTIRE CONTENTS IN SITU.  The air was peppered with a few pleasantries; 'Just put your ruddy backs into it................STOP COMPLAINING........IT'S ONLY A TOE.......IT'S NOT THAT HEAVY.....WHEN I WAS YOUR AGE.......LIFT.........I SAID LIFT................FOR CRYING OUT LOUD LIFT THE ^&** THING......... AM I THE ONLY ONE LIFTING HERE......PUT YOUR RUDDY  BACK INTO IT FOR PETE'S SAKE...   YOU'VE GOT NINE OTHERS.....'  The Cupboard of Wonders does not lock so the extra dimension of door holding had to be factored in......'LOOK OUT ......IT'S TIPPING'!!!!!!!!

PPPPPPPPS: It was a seamless transaction........

PPPPPPPPPS: Cootard's Understanding Seamless ServiceS (CUSS) currently floating on the Stock Exchange

PPPPPPPPPPS: The Owner has just remembered that the Cupboard of Wonders is 'famous' and can  just be seen in the background of Mollie Makes Magazine here and some tins can be seen too I think....If you squint you will be able to read the Cupboard of Wonders is actually mentioned in print!  Such fame

50 comments:

  1. Your post has really cheered me up!
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you kindly Julie
      Sorry for the delay in replying
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  2. oh i would buy shares!!!! you have quite a collection there missus - i love the little pixies - when i was a little girl someone told me that pixies lived on top of telegraph poles!!!! you can still see them today although most are broken or removed - look and you will see what i mean - i love the story but - interestingly - neither of my sister's were told the same story so it couldn't have been my parents i am assuming ........... thanks for cheering me up - you have a lovely way with words which makes me laugh out loud - have a great weekend!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynne
      I hate to say it but I think that I gave the pixies to the charity shop - I would have willingly sent them to you. If they are still in the house and they turn up again I will let you know - you know how pixies can be!
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  3. I rummage around in my drawers occasionally...so does the other half...Boom boom!
    D xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe that I am blushing Miss Daisy.........

      Delete
  4. Oh Lordy. I'm a total fool. I really thought that you were talking about a real shop and as I was reading your post I was muttering to myself "The Owner is a complete loon." Whoopsie! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ho ho - one day dearie, one day..........
      I think that you might have been correct with your thoughts.............!
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  5. Oh my, what a laugh. Liz xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz - glad to raise a smile!
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  6. Is The Cupboard of Wonders just up the road from The Christmas Cupboard? I have an old fairy that misses her mates and would love to see them all again. Opening soon, I hope? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear = you have me sussed. It is now right next door!
      One day dear Ethel - one day
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  7. A great way to welcome the weekend with your humour!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. thank you Bee and thank you for calling in
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  9. Yes I can see it . a wonderful Cabinet in the background...the owner should be very proud that she has stuck by her guns and said no no no they are not for sale!
    as I hold tight to my very precious childhood teddy!!
    Happy weekend
    Thea x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to read that you still have your teddy Thea - I still have Mr Penny, made by mum a few years ago.....
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  10. I cant bear to part with any of my precious childhood belongings either Jenny. I enjoyed clicking the link to the magazine, I didnt know you were 'featured'!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anne
      It is a bit daft as one day it will all have to go - but I will enjoy it in the meantime!
      Fame!
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  11. I fear that curmudgeonly shopowner lives in MY house! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that you might find them the world over Linda!
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  12. Hello! Thoroughly enjoyed reading this Jenny :) I could look in your cupboards all day, so to speak! Anna x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna - funnily enough Dom says the complete opposite!!
      Have a lovely day
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  13. Ooooh, but perhaps the, er, "stuffy" owner of the Cupboard of Wonders might be amenable to Proximity Rentals? Thus, selling a little "time share" of being able to sit in front of it and get one's powdered/oily nose prints all over its lovely glass front whilst jotting down notes of "things to be sought", then curling up at night on a lovely Cootard rug in front of it to absorb into one's dreams all the vintage wisdom and taste it contains? Just a fleeting thought that you may chase out at will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ho ho - time share sounds a great idea - I shall get the lawyers on to this!
      Thank you for the interesting idea
      I hope that all is well in your part of the world
      Best wishes and sorry for the delay in replying
      Jenny

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Thank you kindly - one day I will have nothing left to show!
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  15. I'm a copycat so as Mrs Thriftwood said "Just love it!!" Cheers my dear,Pam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Pam
      Did you buy your table?
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  16. I think I may need a Cupboard of Wondrs myself.......off to find one! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every home should have one if possible VSA - I am quite sure that yours will be lovely
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  17. Lol, Jenny,LOVE your cupboard,I 'need' one too :)
    Xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly - sadly they are readily available in our local charity shop. I paid £15 for this one a few years ago and they still cost that now!
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  18. Jenny You are barking! but we do love you and your cupboard of wonders!! We really do....Hugs Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you Maria that is what the children say too!
      Thank you for calling in and sorry for the delay in replying
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  19. You're such a tease Jenny....you almost had me there!
    Gorgeous things as ever, love them :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  20. There I was thinking you'd wandered into someone's front room in the belief it was a shop and no wonder she was slapping your wrists... some of us are just too naive aren't we. x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Not surprised said owner doesn't want to part with anything from their veritable shop of wonders ...
    You did have me for a little while, ha, ha!!
    M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dom has just informed me that I will have to empty this cupboard so he can move it to do some re-wiring......NO!
      Thank you for calling in
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  22. Just a little note. The doll on the first picture in the front is danish. It is made in wood and painted. The dolls were on the danish island Fyn in a town called Bogense. It was a factory in the 50's and 60's and normally the dolls came in pairs, as a man and a woman. Today people are collecting them in Denmark and they are sold for a high price. The artists name is Mogens Eigenbrod. He don't live anymore but the factory have started a new production of his wood figures.
    Hugs from Lina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lina and thank you so much for your message here. Sorry for the delay in replying but it is kind of you to share that information. I seem to vaguely remember that my mum bought this from the London Ideal Home exhibition - that would have been some time in the 60s so it all fits together.
      Thank you kindly again
      Kind regards
      Jenny

      Delete
  23. What a joy your blog is and one I will be following. That cupboard is so special. Like the magic wardrobe of C S Lewis. I also read the previous posts and thoroughly enjoy your humour , love your collections and Mary, and glad to hear the wallpaper is to stay. Look forward to more of everything. Blessings, Trills

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Trills
      So sorry for the delay in replying and thank you for your kind words. We have a big 1900 wardrobe that my children did indeed think was part of Narnia (I used to keep Edwardian coats in it!).
      Mary says hello too!
      Best wishes
      Jenny

      Delete
  24. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry for deleting this accidentally The Sea Garden
      I have slapped my wrists accordingly....

      Delete