Sunday 9 December 2012

Decking the halls....


Here are a series of Christmas photos spread over the past few years - a perennial decoration are these old lanterns. Old Faithfuls - bought a huge bag full of them for 30p (from a local church sale) - large ones get to hang here and small ones hang on the tree.  The first photo is one of my favourites of this room


I do not know how to adjust my photos - so this is winter sun straight out of the sky!

Each year I say I will do something different but I am drawn to these each time.  That said we have turned the table in a different direction!  Bronte says that we are never to get rid of our 'Breathless' poster

I like prefer these older paper lanterns as they have extra dangley bits

Tra la la
I have certainly had my 30p worth of fun!


We no longer have the piano....sniff, sniff

Last year I couldn't find the tinsely string so had to make do with ordinaire...not quite the same but I did a 'double cross over' to make up for it!!








Are you lanterned out now!!!


Oh -  I do have two more special painted lanterns that I will dig out next time around


If Blogger permits I will try and upload another series of photographs that demonstrate the 'changing of the tablecloths' that takes place on Christmas day.  Well - if you can't show them off at Christmas time when can you!!!

This video is of later afternoon cheese and crackers ! Plus the chocolate log that the children made. Tra la la



I will add in here that when we moved in to this house the dining room was possibly the worst room of all - years before the house had been used as bedsits and this room had silver wallpaper and grey shag pile - it was grim.  However, given its past life, all the original bits and bobs were still there - no one had bothered to remove them. Every room still has its original fireplace (complete with soot) - one day I will sort the chimney out in this room and light a fire in here too!

Keep warm everyone...unless you are in a hot country...then keep cool....

30 comments:

  1. What a lovely light room.The underside of the lanterns are really pretty, what a great find! I do like a good rifle through a jumble!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jenny your house is amazing...what beautiful light. And what a bargain...30p for all that prettiness that gets enjoyed every year! I love the idea of 'The changing of the tablecloths'...I hope you've had a lovely weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they are a perfect Christmas decoration! :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenny,your Christmas dining room is sooo lovely,the chocolate log looks yummy1Warm regards Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S what happened to the piano?Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hell Jenny
    I love your lanterns so pretty and just right for your dining room,
    the soft light picks out the colours so well
    Winter wishes
    Thea x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the lanterns ... your home is most lovely ... you can really tell the thought and care you have put into the renovation ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...what a gorgeous room and the lanterns look amazing.....perfect place for Christmas celebrations x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Breathless poster too Jenny, it looks perfect where it is ... next to those wonderful doors! Love the lanterns too xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marvellous lanterns Jenny. I can't believe you found them so cheaply at a church bazaar, right time, right place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely mantle, and I love the lanterns, I must get some! also fond memories of the chocolate log, Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful room. I'm not at all lanterned out, I'm just cross that I sold our lanterns at out car boot sale back in the summer. Another case of why oh why? Xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks absolutely wonderful, Jenny. Your home is beautiful, so lucky all those original features were still intact, and the gorgeous decorations are the icing on the cake.
    Hen x

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have such a beautiful, light filled dining room and the paper lanterns make it so festive! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely room, I just love those lanterns!
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful room, I can't believe it was once as you describe! Those lanterns must be one of your top bargains.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the lanterns, love the room Jenny :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your room is gorgeous and the lanterns only add to that beauty. Such a lovely space to live and laugh in.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very festive, they are great no wonder you love them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lanterns are so unusual a Christmas idea but the perfect idea at the same time! I love them, and even better that they were such a bargain.

    Anna x

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful room and how splendid it looks with all those lanterns. Is that a pulpit in the corner? Christmas dinner must be such fun surrounded by so many wonderful things to look at. Philippa xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh now I want a box full of old paper lanterns too! (Green? Moi? Peut etre a little bit. They are the cats whiskers and the bees knees all rolled together.)

    Magical room - I would plonk a comfy chair in there and not move ever. I dream of ripping our carpets up and having bare boards... but then the thought cold draughts and noise knocks sense into me..you can hear the telly right through the carpet so imagine without? It would be like living in an echoing village hall. I'd never stop shouting to "turn the blasted thing down!!" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooh Jenny, You have us all wanting a box full of these Lanterns!! 'Love' these pictures! I haven't started with home decorations yet, been busy with the shop Christmas first and foremost really! I have my day off today, so hope fully Christmas will magically appear before every one returns home from work...
    We are quite 'Magic' us Mums aren't we just!! hehe..
    Sending greetings of the season, Jenny.
    Love Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oooh, that is simply gorgeous! Can I come for Christmas in your house!!!?

    ReplyDelete
  25. *sigh*...the room looks so inviting and I love, love, love the lanterns
    Nicky
    x

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am a green eyes monster ! What a beautiful big dining room, I long for one. Sigh. The lanterns are magical and really suit the room too. Enjoy Christmas! x

    ReplyDelete
  27. I came, I saw, I coveted your lanterns. Lovely to meet you today at my shop. Remember to post a pic of the purses you plan to make with the piece of nursery fabric you bought from me today. Joyeux Noel a tous and hope to see you again in the New Year. Catherine at http://www.hepwrights.com in Southampton.

    ReplyDelete
  28. It all looks wonderful ... the lanterns are glorious.

    You have a beautiful home :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Belt and braces...have left a very secret message on my post.
    I hope there is only one of me :)
    Extremely Excited Eco Ethel xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've tried a million times to comment on your blog (positively!) Can't get it to work as my Typepad ID thing won't work. I will try this again, but it is enormously frustrating! Anyway best regards, I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete