Sunday 26 February 2012

Now for something completely different

As well as spending lots of time in the garden, nice walk along the seafront, sewing, having friends round for dinner, a little bit of 'proper' job, listening to flute practice, listening to violin practice, cooking and cleaning, on and on -  I also went to the local car boot.  Well, the sun was out and I am up at five (get by on less and less sleep as I get older)!  I have outlined before how I whizz round at great speed and rarely spend more than half an hour - sometimes I think that my scanning technique will fail me and that the 'sweeping of eyes, left to right' might miss something.  If so well never mind.  Today there was a embarrassment of riches but I am always supposed to be getting rid of things so some things I have to pretend that I did not see (many suitcases from the 1950s, two Lloyd Loom chairs (lovely), more Pyrex than is kept in a Pyrex warehouse and two lovely dolls houses - one I think was possibly 1950s or earlier, a very pretty painted garden on the front and all wooden).  Still we must keep our minds focussed on decluttering....



I may have bought a few things - this little shirt I thought was soooo lovely (handmade button holes).  I was getting a bit worried that I might not buy a tablecloth (I always buy at least one) but - phew - there it was waiting for me.  I got chatting with the stall holder and before you knew it she was saying that I could have all sorts of things for next to nothing - in her words: 'Because I know that you would love them'.  I was quite teary.  Then she asked her husband to come and look at my bags and my purse and he 'ooo'eed and ahhhd' (that doesn't happen too often in my experience).

I also bought another vintage basket - I will post another time about those - I DO NOT NEED ANOTHER ONE!  This one is lovely - the stall holder was using it to hold nails - the man said that I could have it, without the nails, for £2.  I did buy a Tala cake tin, some fantastic crochet, oh and a pair of curtains....the man selling those (a different man to the nail man) said his mother made them for him in the 60s and he had never put them up...they were a £1 so I was forced to buy them!  No hope.

PS: I am gnawing my knuckles that I did not buy a pair of late 60s/early 70s pale blue patent leather, chunky shoes - there were sooooo  lovely and only £2 (the stall holder had lots of others so maybe they will still be there next week...)
PPS: Those shoes would be for Bronte not for myself - what do you think I am like!!

6 comments:

  1. oh that shirt is gorgeous! almost reminds me of Dick Bruna. sounds like you were quite restrained, well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think of you when I saw the dolls houses - I don't have a mobile phone (well I do but never charged or switched on!) or I would have taken a photo of the second one I saw - it was particularly lovely

      Delete
  2. Wow where is this amazing Bootie? Lovely vintage things at my sort of prices I could do with a new little adventure... not that I could cope with a 5am get up. You really are a busy bee I'm in awe of your collecting and creative skills... and energy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rest assured I do not get up early in order to go to car boots! We are always up early regardless - we have neither clock or alarm in our bedroom, we just always seem to be awake. The children (12 and 14) are the same! Though I get up very early I HATE getting dressed so will busy myself still wearing my pyjamas. I do not arrive at the car boot until 10!

      Delete
    2. Oh that sounds much more civilised, I have an aversion to dressing too much more cosy in a dressing gown, I'm currently in search of a nice House Coat pattern to be my first adventure into making clothing!

      Delete
  3. Yikes!!!! Where IS that car boot - our local ones are FULL of rubbish with only the occasional gem. I'm very jealous ;o)

    ReplyDelete